life is a drink / and love’s a drug / oh now I think I must be miles up

LISTENING  TO: Coldplay - Hymn For The Weekend



You know how in movies, there’s always a scene in an airport where a character is running through a terminal, and they just make it to their gate, with the stewardesses closing the doors behind them? Well, I’m here to tell you that’s an actual thing that can legitimately happen. I’m sure that DFW is a lovely airport when you’ve got time to notice it (and I have to say, for as large as it is it is amazingly easy to navigate when you’re running around like a crazy person), but the only thing I can remember is running through the terminal and watching as what looks to be like the remaining gate members were getting ready to board the plane to Albuquerque without me. The main transportation between terminals is a train that reminded me a lot of the monorail in Disney World, and although it was quick, with one of the terminals under construction/the rail not stopping st all through that terminal, if I had been five minutes later I probably would have missed my flight.
Thankfully, that didn’t happen. One of the stewardesses saw me, confirmed this was my flight as I was running the last 300 feet to the gate, and waited so I could get on. They closed the doors behind me, and I counted that as my cardio exercise for the next month or so.

Speaking of airports, I can honestly say that the Albuquerque airport is the smallest one I’ve ever travelled to. When you’re flying over New Mexico, the landscape is so entirely different than any other part of the United States that I’ve been to. The airport itself is surrounded by mountains, and has a lot of open spaces for you to sit and watch the planes come in through the desert. The terminals themselves are small, and after de-planing and meeting up with my friend Rachel, I happily had a burrito for breakfast while we waited for our friend Kim to arrive. The airport is under a little bit of construction (you can tell they’re slowly trying to modernize things), but unlike in Dallas, it didn’t make getting around more of a challenge.

From there, it was just waiting for Scout to pick us up. To say she was shocked to see Rachel and I would be an understatement (there may have been some hysterical crying), but after that it was off to explore Albuquerque on our way back to Sante Fe. Like I mentioned earlier, flying over Albuquerque was such a drastically different experience than I’ve had flying over any other state in the union. Before getting here, my brain was comparing it to Nevada, since you know, that’s a desert too. But it was really crazy to be driving the same highway I just flew over but actually seeing the mountains that line the roads in their true topographical form - from the air, it’s hard to really differentiate rhe peaks and valleys. We made our way to the Standard Diner in Albuquerque for a late lunch (or what I would like to call second breakfast), which was an awesome little spot that had amazing food. It was great to just be able to sit back and catch up with everyone in a brand new place.

And now here I am, sitting in our Casita in Sante Fe. In a crazy twist of fate, it’s eithin walking distance of Scout’s house, smack dab in the middle of town. There are a huge amount of bike trails and I’m really excited to see what the rest of the day will bring, as there’s literally so much to do, and probably not enough time to do it all in, but I’m damn well sure going to try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I look outside every once in a while / even just to catch a glimpse

they'd call us gypsies, tramps and thieves

ready or not / here I come