You got something to say? / Why don't you speak it out loud / instead of talking in your head
Listening to: The 1975 - Heart Out
Who would have thought it would have taken me nearly three years to go on another trip that requires a plane flight (and a work trip at that?). And so here we are, back in the saddle again.
So where are we off to, you're asking? Why, the only place you can go after not going anywhere for a while - Las Vegas, of course!
But even with it being a work trip (to the wonderful wedding-world of WPPI at the MGM Grand, which doesn't officially start until Monday), it was nice to get out of the snowy endless winter of New Jersey to the warm climate of Nevada. And as the first trip I've ever made to the western coast of the United States, it's shaping up to be pretty fantastic.
After an early morning flight out of Newark, a quick layover in Philadelphia, it was then off to Vegas with some minor turbulence (which called for some free wine), I'm sitting here in a hotel room at the New York New York, still not entirely sure what I've gotten myself into, but pretty happy about it, nonetheless.
First of all, my entire opinion of Vegas up until now has been shaped by every Rat Pack movie I've ever seen, as well as every Hangover movie I've ever seen, on top of every Las Vegas tourism commercial I've ever seen. And as much as all of those things are pretty much the same (come to Las Vegas! We're awesome! We have tigers, and Elvis and late night adventures, oh my!), I'm pretty impressed with everything so far.
The airport is extremely close to the strip/everything that you think of when you think of Las Vegas. With a quick ten-fifteen minute taxi drive, we arrived at the New York New York (where it actually took longer to check in than it took to get there from the airport, to put it in perspective), surrounded by cigarette smoke and the sounds of slot machines. Being from the east coast, it was interesting to see the Las Vegas idea of the city, and was a pretty interesting way to start our trip.
From there, we decided to explore a bit. After grabbing a lovely burger and beer from the Shake Shack, we continued walking down the strip, which without the exception of the amount of people paid to hand out photos and phone numbers of prostitutes, was the cleanest city experience I've ever had. Seriously. It wasn't what I was expecting at all, and is probably what I'm the most surprised about so far.
After making our way down the strip, we ended up at Carnaval Court outside of Harrah's, before heading back to the hotel to get ready before dinner. The Bellagio fountains were amazing (although I never expected to see a choreographed water and light show to Michael Jackson's Billie Jean, although, Las Vegas) and definitely worth the crowds.With a great view of the rollercoaster outside our window, I'm looking forward to heading out - we're having dinner at Canonita at the Venetian. I'm pretty excited to see what the famous indoor canal looks like :)
Who would have thought it would have taken me nearly three years to go on another trip that requires a plane flight (and a work trip at that?). And so here we are, back in the saddle again.
So where are we off to, you're asking? Why, the only place you can go after not going anywhere for a while - Las Vegas, of course!
But even with it being a work trip (to the wonderful wedding-world of WPPI at the MGM Grand, which doesn't officially start until Monday), it was nice to get out of the snowy endless winter of New Jersey to the warm climate of Nevada. And as the first trip I've ever made to the western coast of the United States, it's shaping up to be pretty fantastic.
After an early morning flight out of Newark, a quick layover in Philadelphia, it was then off to Vegas with some minor turbulence (which called for some free wine), I'm sitting here in a hotel room at the New York New York, still not entirely sure what I've gotten myself into, but pretty happy about it, nonetheless.
First of all, my entire opinion of Vegas up until now has been shaped by every Rat Pack movie I've ever seen, as well as every Hangover movie I've ever seen, on top of every Las Vegas tourism commercial I've ever seen. And as much as all of those things are pretty much the same (come to Las Vegas! We're awesome! We have tigers, and Elvis and late night adventures, oh my!), I'm pretty impressed with everything so far.
The airport is extremely close to the strip/everything that you think of when you think of Las Vegas. With a quick ten-fifteen minute taxi drive, we arrived at the New York New York (where it actually took longer to check in than it took to get there from the airport, to put it in perspective), surrounded by cigarette smoke and the sounds of slot machines. Being from the east coast, it was interesting to see the Las Vegas idea of the city, and was a pretty interesting way to start our trip.
From there, we decided to explore a bit. After grabbing a lovely burger and beer from the Shake Shack, we continued walking down the strip, which without the exception of the amount of people paid to hand out photos and phone numbers of prostitutes, was the cleanest city experience I've ever had. Seriously. It wasn't what I was expecting at all, and is probably what I'm the most surprised about so far.
After making our way down the strip, we ended up at Carnaval Court outside of Harrah's, before heading back to the hotel to get ready before dinner. The Bellagio fountains were amazing (although I never expected to see a choreographed water and light show to Michael Jackson's Billie Jean, although, Las Vegas) and definitely worth the crowds.With a great view of the rollercoaster outside our window, I'm looking forward to heading out - we're having dinner at Canonita at the Venetian. I'm pretty excited to see what the famous indoor canal looks like :)
Comments
Post a Comment